Friday, October 31, 2008

Candy or a Cookie?

So my work decided to have a constume contest combined with a celebration of halloween sweets! I saw a recipe on The Recipe Girl Blog and I knew right away I had to make it for my co-workers! I goes perfectly with my Melted Witches, "witch" I will post later!! :o)

The cookies were a little time consuming, but came out really cute! I actually refrigerated my dough overnight and it seemed to work better. Hope you enjoy! Happy Halloween!
CANDY CORN COOKIES
Recipe Adapted from Betty Crocker (per The Recipe Girl)
2 Pouches (1 lb. 1.5 oz bags) of Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix
1/3 cup Melted Butter
2 Large Eggs
Orange Food Color
Yellow Food Color
***I used Yellow, Orange and White for my layers, but the original recipe from The Recipe Girl used Chocolate chips to make a chocolate layer...you can find that recipe here.***

Line an 8x4-inch loaf pan with waxed paper, extending paper over sides of pan. In medium bowl, stir cookie mixes, butter and eggs until soft dough forms.

On work surface, place 1½ cups of dough. Knead desired amount of orange coloring into dough until color is uniform. Press dough evenly in bottom of pan.

Divide remaining dough in half. Gently press one half of remaining dough into pan on top of orange dough. On work surface, knead Yellow Food Coloring into remaining dough until color is uniform. Press over plain dough in pan, pressing gently to edge of pan. Refrigerate 1½ to 2 hours or until firm. I kept mine in the friday overnight.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Remove dough from pan. Cut crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices. If needed, trim slightly to make perfect rectangles. Cut each rectangle into 6 or 7 triangular wedges. On ungreased cookie sheet, place wedges 1-inch apart.

Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until cookies are set and edges are very light golden brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet. Cool completely. Store in tightly covered container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really enjoy reading all your comments, thanks for stopping by!