Sunday, March 1, 2009

Balsamic Glazed Seared Salmon with Lemon Broccoli

My husband and I LOVE salmon! We eat it sometimes twice a week! It is so good for you and can be prepared so many ways! I came across this recipe, on Brooklyn Farmhouse, looking for new ways to make salmon. It sounded so good and I couldn't wait to try it. The original recipe actually prepared it with watercress, but I had fresh Broccoli at home that I wanted to use up. This Salmon had such great flavor! It was so moist and the Balsamic glaze added just the right amount of sweetness and zing with every bite! I love the fact that it was seared too, the outside of it had a great crunch to it! And as a bonus, the Salmon came right off the skin!! I always hate that eating a piece of stubborn Salmon that won't pull off it's skin after it is cooked. I think having it seared helped that.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did, we even had leftover glaze so I saved it in a container for the next nights dinner! I actually did similar steps in preparing a marinade for chicken. I just added balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, brown sugar, and lots of seasoning (garlic, salt, pepper) to a zip lock baggie with my chicken in it. I let it marinade over night and grilled it the next night for dinner. It was so good!! We drizzled it with the leftover glaze from the the Salmon recipe!! Give it a try, you won't be disappointed!
Balsamic Glazed Seared Salmon
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 4-ounce wild Alaskan salmon fillets with skin
Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a small bowl, mix the vinegar, water, brown sugar, and lemon or lime juice. Dry the salmon very, very well with paper towels. Salt and pepper the flesh side of the fillets. Don’t be afraid to season the fish well. In a large non-stick pan, heat the olive oil over high heat until it is very hot (but not smoking). Add the salmon fillets skin side up and sear about 5 minutes for medium. Gently flip the fillets and sear on the skin-side for another 5 minutes for medium. Remove the salmon fillets to a plate. Very carefully add the vinegar mixture to the pan - it will sputter and splatter, so be careful! Boil over high heat until the sauce has reduced to a medium-thick glaze (reduce by about 1/3).
We served our salmon with Broccoli. I actually used one of those Zip Lock Steam bags...I put the broccoli in and added some lemon zest, salt and pepper. When the Broccoli was done I drizzled it with some lemon juice! It paired so nicely with the Salmon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really enjoy reading all your comments, thanks for stopping by!