Monday, March 2, 2009

A "lighter" Pulled Pork Sandwich

This meal was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! My husband LOVES pulled pork! I always hate buying it in the pre-made packages at the grocery store. I mean really I have nothing against Lloyd's BBQ, but it is just SO bad for you. My husband loves the stuff ... seriously could probably eat the stuff every weekend if it was up to him. That with his Lay's potato chips!!! haha

I got my Everyday Food Magazine last week, and I was so pumped to see that it had a lighter take on pulled pork inside. It was paired with a cabbage slaw, something very southern, and it sounded delicious. Having had great experience with Martha's magazine previously, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed! This was so delicious!!! Great for a lazy Sunday afternoon!
I actually did this recipe a little different than in the magazine. I knew I wanted to slow cook my pork tenderloin all morning so it would be nice and tender. So what I did was just put the tenderloin in a roasting pan and generously seasoned the outside with coarse salt and fresh ground pepper. I then baked it at 225 for about 4 hours. I turned it halfway through the 4 hours just to re-season and let some of the juices move around the pork. If you want to try it the way I did (which I HIGHLY recommend) see below. Otherwise the original recipe can be found here.

Lighter Pulled Pork Sandwiches
(adapted from Everyday Food Magazine)
1 can (15 ounces) no salt added diced tomatoes in juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
4 garlic cloves minced
1 generous tablespoon spicy brown mustard
coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
1 pork tenderloin
*when I buy pork tenderloin at the grocery it usually comes pre-packaged with two pieces of tenderloin. I cooked both of my portions and shredded both. I froze some of the shredded pork for a rainy day...so I really only used half. But you can eyeball it. Everyday Food said it was about 1 pound of tenderloin...hope that helps.*
1/4 cup light mayo
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 head green cabbage, shredded
wheat rolls
Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Generously season the pork tenderloin with salt and pepper. Place in roasting pan with lid and cook for 4 hours. At the 2 hour mark turn over pork tenderloin and re-season. After 4 hours is up pull out of oven, leaving covered, let cool for 15 minutes.
While pork cools, combine the tomatoes, brown sugar, minced garlic, spicy brown mustard, salt and pepper into a blender. Pulse mixture until it is all combined. Carefully pour tomato mixture into a deep saucepan. Bring to a boil. While tomato mixture is coming to a boil, shred your pork. Once shredded, and tomato mixture is boiling, add the pork to the tomato mixture. Cover and let simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, make slaw: In a large bowl whisk together mayo, 1 tablespoon vinegar, celery seed and 1 tablespoon water. Season with salt and pepper. Add cabbage and toss to coat. Set aside.

When the 25 minutes are up on the pork, add the 1 teaspoon of vinegar and stir to combine. Prepare sandwiches as follows:

Portion a generous amount of pork onto one side of a wheat roll.
Top with cabbage slaw mixture.
Place other bun on top and enjoy!!
**Photo from Everyday Food, I must have been so into eating my sandwich I set the camera down to continue assembling mine and my husbands that I never got a picture of it as a "sandwich"!!!
hahaha silly me!!

1 comment:

I really enjoy reading all your comments, thanks for stopping by!