Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years Traditions

Ok so I start off 2009 seriously cursing my camera! I hate it!!! I miss my old one that could take a decent photo!!! So here on the first day of 2009 I am submitting my New Year's resolution....TO GET A NEW CAMERA!!!
Since I was little we have always started off the new year with pork and sauerkraut. I always buy a decent sized pork roast, season it with different seasonings and smother it in a big jar of yummy sauerkraut! I bake it all day so the aroma fills the house and teases my taste buds! Luckily my husband has had the pleasure of growing up with the same tradition. I found this explanation on a website about the history of pork and sauerkraut: "Pork & Sauerkraut are a main dish for New Years Day in the German heritage, as pigs are considered good luck charm symbols and cabbage leaves are symbolic of money, thus having Pork and Sauerkraut are felt to be the best way to pave the way for the New Year." So here's to a year of good luck, money and health ... from my family to yours, Happy New Year!

Another tradition, one that I actually started this year, is to take a wooden skewer and slide 12 red grapes on it, then place the skewer in a glass of Champagne. (Or we just used white wine, since I had so much leftover from the Peach Sangria!) After midnight strikes you eat your grapes....12 grapes representing one for each month of the next year! As you eat them, determine whether or not they are sweet or sour. For every grape that is sweet, that means you will have a good month. For every grape that is sour, that means you will have a rough month. So for me ... mine were all sweet except for August and December. My husband had sour grapes for July, September and December!! OUCH!!! Why December!?!? You should try this tradition. It is fun and a great way to bring in the new year!

1 comment:

I really enjoy reading all your comments, thanks for stopping by!