Sunday, January 4, 2009

Tortilla Soup with Black Beans

So I recently got this great magazine in the mail...Everyday Food! It is a Martha Stewart magazine, but the thing is I don't know who got it for me!!! I love the magazine though! It is full of great recipes on every page. I seriously think I dog eared almost every page!!! That's how good ALL the recipes looked!!! I came across this one today, looking through the magazine for like the third time, and thought it would be perfect for a Sunday afternoon...and lunches for this week! It is really healthy at only 277 calories (less I would say for me because I didn't add the chips into the soup only as a topper) per serving. It is so delicious and it was so simple to put together! I always keep things like canned tomatoes and black beans in my pantry, just in case days like today come up where I want to make a soup! You can never have toomany canned tomatoes or beans in your pantry! I hope you like it as much as I did!

Tortilla Soup with Black Beans
(from Everyday Food a Martha Stewart Magazine)
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder (mine was a heaping teaspoon...I like things spicy!)
2 14.5 ounce cans of diced tomatoes in juice (one of my cans was the regular diced tomatoes the other I used diced tomatoes with chili's) (I also bought the cans with no salt added)
1 14.5 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 10 ounce package of frozen corn
coarse salt and pepper
1 cup crushed tortilla chips, plus more for serving (I bought the wheat ones)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook garlic and chili powder in oil until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes (with juice), beans broth, corn, and 1 cup of water. Season with salt and pepper.
***I didn't add the 1 cup of water because I didn't want the soup broth to be watered down, and also because I knew I wasn't going to add the 1 cup of crushed tortilla chips to the soup. I didn't want to add the crushed chips to the soup, one to make it healthier and two because I hate soggy chips! You certainly can make it the other way, this was just what I did. ***
Bring soup to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Add tortilla chips; cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice, and season with salt and pepper. Serve soup with lime wedges and more crushed chips.

1 comment:

I really enjoy reading all your comments, thanks for stopping by!