Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Broccoli-Cauliflower-Sausage Pasta

Growing up my mom made us dishes that she refereed to as "one pot meals". I have very fond memories of these dishes. We didn't have a lot of money as kids and my mom was always so creative with coming up with new exciting dishes that were budget friendly and very delicious! Luckily I wasn't a picky eater, so I was always up for trying anything...as long as it wasn't brussel sprouts, man I hated those things!!!

Being budget friendly has stuck with me as I age and I contine to look for ways to save a penny or two or three! Coupon clipping is one of my favorite things to do. I actually get excited (yes it is sad) when I get new coupons that I can go through and add to my coupon organizer. It has even gotten to the point now that my mother-in-law sends me her coupons too! I told you I was pathetic! But hey, this weekend I went to the grocery and saved $70 with my coupons...so I guess clipping coupons isn't so pathetic is it!!! The most I have ever saved in one trip was $90-something! That's a lot of groceries!! And since our AC broke and we had to replace our whole unit, I need to save every penny I can!

Back to my one-pot-meal wonder! I had a coupon for kielbasa, not something I really buy on a regular basis if at all...mainly because it really isn't that healthy and we try to eat fairly healthy. But when I was going through my coupons, the kielbasa was staring back at me reminding me of this childhood meal. I clipped it and thought I would file it away and if it was on sale I would buy it, and if it wasn't on sale then I decided I wouldn't get it. Sure enough it was on sale, and in the cart it went!!
Broccoli-Cauliflower-Sausage Pasta
(recipe from my mom)

1 package of kielbasa - I think it was a 14 oz. package (such as Hillshire Farms)
about 2 cups of fresh chopped Broccoli
about 2 cups of fresh chopped Cauliflower
half a bag of No Yolk Egg Noodles (I used the broad noodles)
Olive Oil
Fresh Garlic minced
Fresh Cracked Pepper
Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. In another pan bring water to boil for noodles.
Cut kielbasa into about 1 inch thick pieces. Toss into pan with olive oil. Add minced garlic (however many cloves you desire) and fresh cracked pepper. Cook until the kielbasa brown's slightly.
While kielbasa browns, add your noodles to your other pot of boiling water. Cook noodles until al dente. Drain and set aside.
When sausage has browned, add broccoli and cauliflower to pan and cover. Stir occasionally to allow the "grease" to season the veggies! YUM! When veggies are cooked but still slightly crisp add noodles. Toss to combine.
Makes about four servings.
This meal is all time comfort food, but it is so delicious! It really brought back some great memories for me. It is super simple and so satisfying. I hope you will give it a try, and if so let me know what you think!

3 comments:

  1. This looks realllly good. And I'm not even a big keilbasa fan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same thing happened with me and a Hillshire farm turkey kielbasa. I had a coupon, it was on sale, and we were surprised at how much we liked it!

    One pot meals are great and this sounds really healthy too!

    *PS. The other week Harris Teeter had triple coupons up to $1.99! I about flipped out! I ended up getting stuff for FREEEEEEEEEEE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this recipe! All I have in the fridge right now is broccoli cauliflower and sausage, so I google searched for a recipe and found yours!

    Looks great, I know what we will be having for dinner.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading all your comments, thanks for stopping by!