Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits

Picture this...
You want to go out to eat...you are thinking seafood. You remember that place (Red Lobster) that has those amazing cheddar biscuits they always serve. Those biscuits that are so warm and packed with that cheddar garlic flavor that we all love so much. Then it hits you...

WHY GO OUT AND SPEND MONEY WHEN YOU CAN MAKE THEM AT HOME AND THEY TASTE SOOOO MUCH BETTER!

Well, that is what happened to me. Let's face it Red Lobster, no offense to all you Red Lobster loving fans, really isn't all that great. I mean really does anyone go there for anything else besides those biscuits!!!??

When I was sitting in front of the tv watching Ina Garten on the Food Network, hosting her breakfast party, she was making these biscuits. This is what started my drooling! Then she started making the Slow-Cooked Scrambled Eggs, and I knew I had to make this breakfast. I couldn't believe how easy her biscuits looked. I really haven't ever made a homemade buttermilk biscuits because I was so nervous...thinking that from scratch biscuits would be so hard. I had all the ingredients on hand so I thought to myself, why not give her buttermilk cheddar biscuits a shot...

So I did and these were the best biscuits I have ever put into my mouth! I am not joking! Red Lobster LOOK OUT! They were so flaky and so full of flavor. They went perfectly with the Slow-Cooked Scrambled Eggs. I think the addition of the garlic salt on top really made these biscuits. Also, Ina Garten used a sharp Vermont Cheddar on the show, but I didn't have that at home so I just used good old Kraft Sharp Cheddar, but I think next time I make this I am going to get some really good sharp cheddar from Whole Foods. I think it would make a difference.

Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, diced
1/2 cup cold buttermilk, shaken
1 cold extra-large egg
1 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar
1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water or milk (I used milk)
Sea Salt, optional (I used Garlic Salt because the hubs and I are freaks about garlic!)
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Place 2 cups of flour, the baking powder, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. With the mixer on low, add the butter and mix until the butter is the size of peas.

Combine the buttermilk and egg in a small measuring cup and beat lightly with a fork. With the mixer still on low, quickly add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and mix only until moistened. In a small bowl, mix the Cheddar with small handful of flour (this helps the cheese not sink to the bottom of the biscuit) and with the mixer still on low, add the cheese to the dough. Mix only until roughly combined.

Dump out onto a well-floured board and knead lightly about 6 times. Roll the dough out to a rectangle 10 by 5 inches. With a sharp, floured knife, cut the dough lengthwise in half and then across in quarters, making 8 rough rectangles. Transfer to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Brush the tops with the egg wash, sprinkle with salt (or garlic salt - which I think was so much better), if using, (I also sprinkled some cheese on top of each biscuit) and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the tops are browned and the biscuits are cooked through. Serve hot or warm.
PS - these are great as leftovers!!!

4 comments:

  1. Omg. I love biscuits. AND Ina's scrambled eggs! Well, I've never tried her recipe, but I remember seeing it on TV and drooling all over the place.

    Let me digress and say kudos for enjoying baking. I hate baking, mostly because I suck at it. And all of your recipes look delicious!

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looooove biscuits. My mom once made a Red Lobster knock-off biscuit too. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the best! My wife is such a great cook!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading all your comments, thanks for stopping by!