Thursday, July 2, 2009

Peanut Butter Chicken Tender Skewers

I used to get the magazine "Cooking for 2", a sub magazine of "Taste of Home". I love both magazines, they are always filled with such great recipes. I especially loved "Cooking for 2" because it is just me and my husband and we don't always want a whole lot of leftovers!


I have had this recipe bookmarked for quite some time now, just waiting for the perfect occasion! When I got my crazy urge to have cole slaw the other weekend I decided that it would be great to have something grilled to go with it. So I went to my cookbooks and starting look through my "must make" recipes! I was so excited when I came to the Peanut Butter Chicken Tender Skewers, because not only did I have all the ingredients (well except the ginger root) but I LOVE peanut butter!! I also thought that this would pair perfectly with some nice cold refreshing cole slaw!






Now it seems like lately there is a story that goes along with my dishes...and that was the case again when it came to making these skewers! Hey at least I keep people on their toes!! I have been known to make a mess in the kitchen when I cook/bake! It just seems like I can't be in my kitchen cooking without making some kind of mess...I call it art, but my husband doesn't like it so much!!! ;o)

On this particular day, I just happened to be looking through my cookbook on my glass top stove. When I finally decided on a recipe, I started to get all my ingredients out. I turned on the stove and proceeded to make the peanut butter sauce. A few minutes went by and I kept stirring the sauce wondering why the peanut butter wasn't melting properly, and my sauce wasn't turning in to a nice thin smooth sauce ... more like a clumpy thick mess! Then sure enough *sniff sniff*, I noticed something smelled like it was burning! But it didn't make sense to me because my stupid sauce wasn't even cooking like it should be...that's when I looked down at my cookbook and thought OH CRAP (although I am sure I didn't say crap)! Yes my friends this idiot turned the wrong burner on! Luckily I didn't walk away and even more lucky...it didn't start a fire. But in a rush to move my cookbook, I burned my finger :o( AND IT HURT!! LOL Sooooo - moral of the story, DON'T BE AN IDIOT LIKE ME AND PUT YOUR COOKBOOK ON THE STOVE TOP! haha Good thing I have a glass top because it was easy to clean up!

On a side note, these were so easy to make and I couldn't believe how good they were!

Peanut Butter Chicken Tender Skewers
(adapted from Taste of Home)

1/4 cup water
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root (I didn't have this so I left it out)
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
In a small saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 3 minutes or until smooth. Remove from the heat; set aside 2 tablespoons sauce for serving.

Slice chicken lengthwise into 1-in. strips; thread onto metal or soaked wooden skewers. Grill, uncovered, over medium-hot heat for 2 minutes; turn and brush with remaining sauce. Continue turning and basting for 4-6 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Serve with reserved sauce.

3 comments:

  1. Only kitchen-idiots burn themselves. ;) (On a side note, where's my burn cream???)

    Yummy! I bet those tasted awesome with the coleslaw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! I'm not a big fan of peanut butter but it sounds like if I reduced the amount in this recipe and increased some of the other ingredients it would add nice flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sounds great, i'll have to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading all your comments, thanks for stopping by!