Monday, July 27, 2009

Go Hokies!

I really wasn't sure if I was going to blog about these cupcakes, but they did turn out really cute. I just really need to start working on getting a camera that can take decent pictures at all times of the day; it's so disappointing.

I made these cupcakes for my friend who turned 21. I couldn't decide on what to make her for her birthday, but knew it had to be special. One day I was going through Amanda's blog, Is This Thing On?, and came across her version of the Hokie Hi-Hat! I saw them and knew right away those were the cupcakes I had to make my friend. My friend goes to Virgina Tech and she is a HUGE Hookie fan, as is her family. Since her whole family was coming into town, I figured that this would be perfect for all of them!

I was so busy the week of my friends birthday, I knew I didn't have a lot of time to go 100% homemade, so I decided last minute to turn to Miss Betty Crocker, who has saved my butt on many occasions! I figured the decorating was going to be pretty time consuming so I needed to cut a few corners. So I settled on a box mix and canned frosting, but hey they still tasted good!

Amanda actually used fondant for her "VT's", but I decided to go with chocolate. I haven't worked much with fondant, and due to my time constraints, I didn't really have time to mess up! So I turned to good ole Wilton's candy coloring and tried my best to come up with VT colors. It wasn't perfect, but it got the point across. I just piped the chocolate onto wax paper in the shape of Virginia Tech's logo.

My friend loved them, as did her parents. I am glad they went over so well. I will definitely be trying the hi-hat method again, and hopefully won't feel so rushed!

While I have no recipe to share with you, I can explain the method of a hi-hat cupcake. (Or you can view Amanda's here!)
-Basically you make your cupcakes and let them cool completely.
-Frost the cooled cupcakes. (I piped up a nice high mound of frosting) Place in the freezer for a few minutes so the frosting cool and good and ready for dipping.
-Melt desired chocolate for dipping.
-Carefully dip each cupcake in the melted chocolate. The cupcakes will change the temperature of the chocolate since you put them in the freezer, so be carefully the chocolate doesn't cool too fast or you will get a layer of chocolate that will be too thick over the frosting. (this happened to me on a few)
All in all, the cupcakes were cute. I am disappointed in the pictures and the fact that I wasn't able to spend time making it all from scratch...but hey we all can't be perfect now can we!

7 comments:

  1. It's actually "Hokies" not "Hookies". I'm a grad myself

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ... I don't know what I was thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the "Go Hokies!" title and I got excited about a VT confection! I'm so glad you went for the Hokie Hi-Hat. The name is fun enough, but I'm sure your cupcakes were tasty too!

    And there is nothing in this world with a box mix and tub o' icing. Sometimes a baker needs a break from dishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! And... I must admit. I thought the "VT" was an upside down high heel! Haha... I'm clueless! Great job though, I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are the cutest little cupcakes ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, come on, if the pictures are good enough to make me drool, they're good enough indeed! :) Sweet of you to take the effort and make this for your friend.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading all your comments, thanks for stopping by!