Monday, July 13, 2009

Scrambled Eggs with Herbs

I love breakfast...especially on the weekends. What I love even more is cooking a nice breakfast for my hubs. Waking up on a Sunday morning, after hopefully sleeping in a bit (sleeping in for us is usually 7, 7:30), man do I wish I was one of those people who could really sleep in) and rummaging through my cookbooks or in this case turning on Food Network to find a recipe. Yes I am one of those people who is highly addicted to Food Network...especially now that I have HD!! Seriously, it's like you are right there in the action...food never looked so good! I am still waiting for Smell-O-Vision to come out, oh man that would be trouble! :o)

One this particular weekend, I sat down and started watching Food Network. Ina Garten was on, who I must admit I am really not a huge fan of, but she was cooking breakfast and it looked fabulous! I couldn't believe how easy her breakfast looked, which surprised me because I feel like her recipes are sometimes very complicated. It got to the point that I was nearly drooling at the mouth, that I decided I better just get off the couch and make this great breakfast! So off to the kitchen I went!

Look at those eggs! Are they not the prettiest eggs you have ever seen? Look at how yellow they are! My hubs kept laughing at me because I couldn't stop talking about the color of these eggs. I must tell you that I am very blessed because I have a friend who has family that has a farm. And on that farm, they have chickens...I bring in my empty egg cartons, and she brings them back to me filled with these delicious fresh farm eggs! Let me tell you, there is nothing better than a fresh farm egg! I can't believe all the eggs I eat now! LOL She tells me the eggs make the prettiest yellow cake...I need to try that out soon!

These eggs were so delicious. I haven't really ever slow-cooked eggs like this before, but they turned out so good. I was so excited about this recipe because I have a garden (which I am going to be posting about) that is full of lots of fresh herbs. I feel like I don't really get to use them enough.
Note - Ina Garten's recipe called for 10 eggs! I knew, being that it is just me and the hubs, that I wouldn't need that many eggs, so I cut her recipe in half.
Slow-Cooked Scrambled Eggs with Herbs
(adapted from Barefoot Contessa)
5 extra-large eggs
4 tablespoons half-and-half
4 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon minced scallions, white and green parts (I didn't have scallions, but I had a red onion that I just picked from my garden so I used that instead)
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a large saute or omelet pan, if using onion add onion and sautee. Add the eggs and cook them over low heat, folding them over almost constantly with a rubber spatula, until the desired doneness. Off the heat, add the remaining tablespoon of butter, the parsley, and dill. Stir until the butter is melted. Check for seasonings. Serve hot.
See those yummy biscuits!?!? That's what's coming next...and you don't want to miss it!

2 comments:

  1. We had scrambled eggs & homemade buttermilk biscuits for breakfast on Sunday morning! Lately I've just been doing fried eggs, because the cleanup is much easier, but I think I forgot how tasty scrambled eggs are. I love dill so I bet these were good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slow cooking eggs is the best way to cook them! These look fantastic and you're right... they are perfectly yellow. :)

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading all your comments, thanks for stopping by!