Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Cake Ball Fever

My first cake balls!!! YIPPPEEE!! I am so excited (can you tell) to blog about these little cuties!! I have been wanting to make cake balls for so long now and thought the Superbowl was the perfect time to try it out with a little "football" theme! I saw Bakerella do something similar and thought they were so adorable! I actually have been reading about cake balls for a long time and always wondered why it is that no one really makes them with anything but chocolate/red velvet cake?? So I decided that I would try it out with a little Funfetti cake action!! THESE CAKE BALLS WERE SO GOOD!! I just can't tell you enough how good they really were, you must try them out on your own! My husband actually said "these things taste like a Ho-Ho!!", and they really did!!
I have only one complaint I must share with you all, these took A VERY LONG TIME TO DO!!! I started on the cake part Friday night and spent a good 3 hours working on them...baking the cake, mixing it up, forming them into footballs, chilling them. I let them chill overnight in the fridge and then dipped and decorated them Saturday morning. It took me another 3 hours for all the dipping/decorating!! So plan some time if you want to do these, but it was well worth all the time, trust me! They were a HUGE success!
Football Cake Balls
(recipe for original cake ball from Bakerella, I changed it up for my footballs)
1 box Funfetti cake mix, cook using directions on the back of the box for a 9x13 cake
1 can cream cheese frosting
1 package chocolate bark
wax paper
After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl. I used a fork to help crumble it. Mix thoroughly with 1 can cream cheese frosting. A lot of people say to use your hands to help mix it, but it work for me just using a spatula. Roll mixture into footballs and lay on cookie sheet. (My batch made 60 or so footballs!) Chill for several hours or overnight. You can also speed this up by putting in the freezer if you want to do them right away.
Melt chocolate over a double boiler or using the microwave, just be careful not to burn the chocolate. I like melting over a double boiler best, because you can keep the warm water under the bowl of chocolate to help keep the chocolate warm and for longer. Roll balls in chocolate and lay on wax paper until firm. I used a toothpick to dip my cake balls. Decorate as desired.
-Photography by Kristen Wiltse

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really enjoy reading all your comments, thanks for stopping by!