Monday, February 9, 2009

Mexican Dip

I really love dips, and if you have been reading my blog at all over the coarse of the last week, you probably already guessed that!!! Dips are just so easy and fun for any party...really for any day!! I can't wait to make this dip again...yes it was THAT GOOD! My husband and I were actually happy to see that we had a good amount of this dip left after our party, and we ate off of it for the next couple of nights!!! It is similar to a seven layer dip, but it isn't seven layers!! I really don't think it is that bad for you either; (since I always try to use low-fat substitutes) of coarse that is enforcing portion control, which I have a VERY hard time doing with a dip!! haha

The only thing I would change with this recipe is that the Jalapeno's on top were too much, I think they would have tasted better chopped up and sprinkled on top of the cheese...that way you would get smaller pieces of the Jalapeno with each bite. I got this recipe from a friend of mine, really by accident. Back when I was wanting to make Mushroom Risotto, she told me about this cookbook she had. I was looking through the cookbook to find the Mushroom Risotto and came across this dip. I knew it sounded delicious and decided to make it for our Superbowl Party. I was so easy to put together. I actually made it the day before and let it sit in the fridge. It probably made it taste even better by letting the flavors mingle awhile!!
1-2-3 Mexican Dip
1 16 ounce can fat free refried beans
1 1/2 cups medium salsa
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup lite mayo
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
sliced Jalapeno's for the top (I used the ones from the jar, but you could use fresh)
tortilla chips for dipping
Combine refried beans, 1/4 cup of the salsa, the chili powder, cumin and oregano in a medium bowl. Spread evenly over the bottom of an 8 x 8 inch glass dish (at least 2 inches deep).
Combine sour cream, mayo, red onion, cilantro and onion powder in a small bowl. Carefully spread over the bean mixture.
Combine the red bell pepper and the remaining 1 1/4 cups salsa in a small bowl. Gently spread over the sour cream mixture, being very careful not to mix the layers. Top with the cheese and sliced Jalapeno's and refrigerate until chilled. Serve with tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really enjoy reading all your comments, thanks for stopping by!